Home / health / running log / Berlin Marathon Training in Stadtwald Giessen: 7 Weeks Out

Berlin Marathon Training in Stadtwald Giessen: 7 Weeks Out

What a week it was! Four runs in five days, including one of my absolute best long runs ever, and the worst run I’ve ever had.

Wednesday, 6 August 2008

run type: training run
route: Started at Seltersweg, out to the 1 1/2-mile marker in Stadtwald Giessen, then back.
feeling: :)
time: 59:42
distance: 5 miles
pace per mile: 11:54
additional notes: I got a small yet painful blister on the same ankle whose Achilles tendon has been bothering me, and it wasn’t feeling too good today. Other than that, it was a great run. I think I was pretty mentally strong because at the family get-together in Berlin, lots of Rob’s family said they’d be at the marathon (yikes!) and the long train ride home.

Thursday, 7 August 2008

run type: training run
route: Started at Seltersweg, up to the 2-mile marker in Stadtwald Giessen, down to the Blue Arrow, and out to the 1/2 mile-marker, back to The Main and home.
feeling: :|
time: 1:37:30
distance: 8 miles
pace per mile: 12:12
additional notes: Ran with the Baileys friends, who are training for the Top of Utah marathon. Read all about what became my first Non-Runner Nancy’s Virtual Race by clicking here.

Saturday, 9 August 2008

run type: long run
route: Started at Seltersweg, out to the 2-mile marker in Stadtwald Giessen, down to the Blue Arrow, out to the 1-mile marker, back to the beginning. Repeat.
feeling: :)
time: 3:46:54
distance: 17 miles
pace per mile: 13:18
additional notes: I took carb shots every 4 miles and it was the best. The only pain was in my ankles and feet, plus my hips a little towards the end. I tried to lessen the pressure of my footstrike and that seemed to help a little. Rob ran the first out and back loop with me, then went back and got some water and his bike. He gave me fresh water, then went out to measure some new routes. We met up later for some new water. It was great and really helped me to stay hydrated.

Sunday, 10 August 2008

run type: recovery run
route: Started at Seltersweg, out to the 1-mile marker in Stadtwald Giessen, down to the Blue Arrow, out to the 1/2-mile marker there, then back home.
feeling: :((
time: 1:11:30
distance: 5.5 miles
pace per mile: 13:00
additional notes: This was the worst run I have experienced. The only other run that compares to this was my first 9-miler (my first real heat run). Every muscle in my legs hurt. With every step. It was awful.

Totals

Total Weekly Mileage: 35.5 miles
Total Minutes: 455.62 minutes
Overall Mileage: 233.7 miles
Overall Time: 47.63 hours

8 thoughts on “Berlin Marathon Training in Stadtwald Giessen: 7 Weeks Out

1. Linden

15 Aug on 2008 at 12:24

@frayed laces: I hear you on overtraining. I actually think of Ramus when something hurts me for more than 2 weeks. I do not want to repeat what happened to you! I think I’m going to bike the day after long, or just walk. Definitely no more running. Ouch. Hurts just to think about it!

2. Frayed Laces

13 Aug on 2008 at 12:52

Wow! Way to go on your long run! Maybe you should take Sunday’s bad run as a sign not to run after a long run—I usually take a complete rest day or bike. Beware of overtraining, dear! I’ve been there and suffered horribly

3. Linden

13 Aug on 2008 at 6:41

@kevin: That makes me feel really good! Thanks! I’m doing 20 this weekend! And I’m praying for the same strength. And carb shots. :)

4. Kevin

12 Aug on 2008 at 19:30

wow, you are rocking it. a run of 3 hours, 46 minutes? and the only pain was in your ankles? im dreading it when my long run takes me that far. i cant wait till your race.

5. Linden

12 Aug on 2008 at 11:16

@sarah jo: You’re awesome! I did actually realize that it was less than 10 miles short of the Big One. I felt so good at the end that I considered doing another mile. I’ll do it next time I feel like that. :)

@audgepodge: Go Midwest! Thank you for the encouragement. I appreciate it so much!

@michelle j: I promise you that with the right training, you could run 17 miles! I never ever in a million bazillion years that that I would run more than like 10 feet, but I started a walk-run training program and three years later, I’m training for a marathon! It’s crazy. :)

Thanks for the add–I’ve added you as well. LOVED the dancing post!

6. Michelle J

11 Aug on 2008 at 6:04

It is huge!! 17 miles?? WOOHOO!!!! I simply cannot fathom running 17 miles. Amazing my friend!

I am in awe!

I am putting you on my blog roll!!

7. audgepodge

11 Aug on 2008 at 0:35

Thanks for visiting my blog! FYI – I’m a midwest gal also (raised in Cleveland)

You had a great week of runs this week – congrats on completing 17 miles – that’s HUGE! And great job on the 8 on the 8th.

8. Sarah Jo

10 Aug on 2008 at 16:41

OMIGOSH! I am so frickin’ proud of you! 17 miles? Do you realize that’s just 3 miles away from your longest training run? Do you realize that’s less than 10 miles from completing a marathon?

You are a superstar. Rock on.