We spent the evening with some friends, and I am constantly reminded of how blessed I am. I have so many dear friends, and I never forget how special that is. Many of my best friends I have known for years and years, but some are relatively new. But it doesn’t matter, because each one of them has changed me and made me a better person, helped make me the woman I am today, and probably in ways that neither of us is fully aware of.
When I moved half-way around the world, my friends don’t forget me. I was literally struck to tears on my birthday last year. I got so many happy birthday messages via email, Facebook, MySpace, even one blog post dedicated to helping me not to feel forgotten. You can see it even on this blog: When I open up about something very personal and potentially embarrassing, my friends encourage me.
All of the homesickness I have felt while living here in Germany has not been for “home,” for a place, but for the people who make me happy. I see something that reminds me of someone, I get an email from them, I see a picture, and it brings me to tears quite frequently, because I miss that friend. None of this adventure would be difficult at all if I could have brought all of you with me. I will admit, that is part of why I was depressed this summer: Because I am all alone here, without a girlfriend to talk away the afternoons with. (Rob is definitely my best friend, but he is still a guy, and there are some things that you just need a girl to talk over with.)
I have, unfortunately, lost a few friends over the years. I am sad because we connected, because they impacted my life. But sometimes people change or jump to the wrong conclusions and the damage is irreparable. Even though it sucks, it has made me appreciate my dear friends even more.
My Best Friends
- One of my best friends is very good at giving gifts. She picks up on things that even I don’t think are clues for gifts and searches until she finds the perfect thing. It always makes me feel so special.
- One of my best friends is me. It doesn’t matter how long we are apart or how long it’s been since we have talked, we’re right back where we left off, like we saw each other yesterday. I saw this quote the other day and it instantly reminded me of her: “God made us best friends because he knew our mothers couldn’t handle us as sisters.”
- One of my best friendships was hard earned, in more ways than one. We spent hours and hours together when we were first friends, and I think how deeply we connected and how quickly surprised both of us.
- One of my best friends is self-admittedly a little ditzy, but her heart is wise well beyond her years. I always know that she will have wisdom to share with me when I’m struggling with something.
- One of my best friends Knows Me–good and bad–and still loves me. I can be completely, totally, deeply real and I don’t fear judgment or scorn. Verus amicus est alter idem. (Cicero)
All of these people, and so many more, make my life such a beautiful place to be. Oh, I have dark times, like everyone, but because of my friends and their deep impact on my life, I always know that it’s gonna be all right.
Question of the Day
Who are you most grateful for in your life? Do they know it? Take the time to tell them today.