Home / regulars / NaBloPoMo / Why I Shouldn’t Start Smoking (Even Though I’ve Been Wanting To)

Why I Shouldn’t Start Smoking (Even Though I’ve Been Wanting To)

No Smoking logoFirst, let me preface this by saying that as much as I feel the desire to smoke, I will not start. You do not need to send me emails and comments encouraging me to make the right decision. I’m just struggling with this and I know there must be other people out their going through the same thing, so I’m writing about it. Plus, I think it will help me cope. Writing always does that.

After that very important intro, let’s get to the meat of this post.

I cannot explain why, but for about three months, I have been hankerin’ for a cigarette. I smoked at parties in college for about a semester. I was exposed to it some as a child because several of my aunts and uncles smoked. But I was never, by any definition, a regular smoker. I’ve never dated a smoker. Only one of my best friends smokes. So why am I having these urges?

The prevalence of smoking here? Maybe. Stress? Depression? Yes and yes. Would giving in and smoking solve those problems? Nope. It wouldn’t even start. In fact, it would probably make things worse. So I was thinking today about these strange urges and realized a few things.

5 Reason I Won’t Light Up

1. Do I even need to mention the health reasons for not taking up this bad habit? It would interfere with my ability to breathe, and therefore my running. It weakens the immune system. It could discolor my fingers, fingernails, and teeth.
  2. It’s addictive. I am trying to eliminate addictions from my life, not add them.
  3. It’s expensive. Like any addiction, whether it’s to Cheez-its and Dr. Pepper or blow, cigarette smoking would make me spend money on something other than a car, a home, and our future. And I don’t want that.
  4. I like having fresh smelling clothes and breath. I have yet to meet a smoker who didn’t have either smoker’s breath or smoky smelling clothes. I don’t want to be like that. I love that fresh laundry smell. I have always been self-conscious about having bad breath or body odor, so I don’t really want to add another odor to be self-conscious about.
  5. I need to find a real solution for my stress and depression, and cigarettes aren’t it. Making myself be organized lifts my spirits. Focusing on why I’m excited to be in Germany makes me happy. Being grateful makes can wipe away the grime. And getting things done can decrease my stress. Cigarettes would just be a temporary solution, a band-aid fix.

Question of the Day

How do you deal with the urges you have but choose not to give in to?

Image Source

9 thoughts on “Why I Shouldn’t Start Smoking (Even Though I’ve Been Wanting To)

1. Pingback: Keeping the Gators Fed: Why I Crave Horror Movies (and Running) | Linden's Pensieve

2. Pingback: I am a Spender, but I am Changing | Linden's Pensieve

3. Daniel

27 Nov on 2008 at 21:02

Smoking would ruin your running! I don’t really have a method for not doing things I have urges for, I just know very well why I shouldn’t and that’s enough to keep me from it. I still haven’t been able to stop smoking though, guess I should get a method huh?

27 Nov on 2008 at 23:49

@Daniel – I know!! That is reason number 1. For me and some thing just knowing why I shouldn’t be doing something isn’t a strong enough deterrent. Like wasting time on the Internet. No matter how much I know why I shouldn’t continue getting random lolcats, I can still waste so much time doing so when I should be grading.

4. xgravity23

25 Nov on 2008 at 20:33

@Beth Mildren – Ha ha! I could probably buy you and James a trip here after a year of smoking with the way cigarette prices are here.

5. Charity

25 Nov on 2008 at 15:49

I’m just going to focus on your question given that you already know your decision on this…

Distraction. I’ve dealt with stress by shopping. I’ve dealt with boredom by eating. For me, the solution to both was/is distraction. We don’t have the money for shopping, so I find projects at home to keep me busy or invest in something that provides for weeks or even months of entertainment (like knitting). This goes the same for boredom. I think knitting has done more to curb my winter-time eating habits that anything else. When it’s cold and dark for months and I’m sick of TV, it was easy to spend time baking. Fine, until I gained 15 pounds in one season, so the next season, I replaced the baking and the food in my hand with hobbies. I actually prepare for winter, knowing that I need projects.

6. Beth Mildren

25 Nov on 2008 at 2:39

If you ever need to waste money, do it in a more constructive way and buy me a ticket to Germany! It’ll be cheaper and more fun.I promise :) I’m glad you’re smart enough to recognize what’s really bothering you and avoid a bad habit that could only compound the situation.

7. ww

24 Nov on 2008 at 23:57

Wow, crazy. I am really glad to hear that you aren’t going to start smoking. Sorry you’re having such cravings to smoke. One thing that helps me overcome powerful temptations is prayer and fasting. No joke.

25 Nov on 2008 at 20:29

@ww – I know, weird, right? Logic is powerful (that was the goal of this post), but I’ll try prayer and fasting as well. Might have to read up on fasting, though–haven’t done it as an adult, actually… Thanks!