Home / health / race report / Boomtown Days Half Marathon Race Report

Boomtown Days Half Marathon Race Report

I ran the Boomtown Run Half Marathon in Joplin yesterday, but I’m not going to say much about this race simply because I’m not ready to say much positive, and if you know me at all, you know I prefer positivity.

It was very hot and very humid. Some clouds and wind made the third 5k to the end bearable, along with the aid stations with lots of water and ice. One even had a high-powered mister, and another had water spraying from a hose. It was awesome.

We had a great cheering squad! My mom and Sarah’s husband, Chris, followed us around Joplin and they met up with us several times throughout the race, ringing cowbells, yelling, blowing an air horn, and waving signs. Nothing helps power a tired, hot runner forward more than cheers. Remember this if you ever attend / happen upon a race. Cheer nonstop. We need it, and we love you for it.

Finally, Sarah. When I wanted to stop, she said, “Not until that stoplight.” When I asked her if she would quit or keep running if I dropped out, she hesitated, and said, “It doesn’t matter because quitting isn’t an option. You will finish this race.” And I did because of her.

I would be remiss to ignore the excellent organization of the Boomtown Run Half Marathon. I definitely recommend this race (and would all the more so if it weren’t so hot) because of how well the entire event was put together. Registration was smooth. The course had plenty of aid stations, lots of medical support, and they reacted to or had already planned for the forecasted heat. Which I am very glad about; wouldn’t want another Chicago. My favorite part of the race support? I have to choose three experiences. (1) A volunteer named June at about mile 10.4 (just before the course turned south into Schifferdecker Park) who cheered and cheered and cheered! It was so uplifting! (2) The swag! We got a technical jersey at packet pick-up and a sweet medal and technical race hat at the finish line. That’s the best swag I’ve ever received in a race! (3) Ice tubs at the post-race party. See picture below. Very very cold, but I love the restorative effects of an ice bath on sort muscles and joints!

And that’s about all the nice things I can say about the Boomtown Run, no discredit to the organizers, only to the frickin’ weather. :) I’m starting to think I’m not made for half-marathons. *sigh*

If you want to see the rest of the pictures Chris took during the race, click here.

UPDATE! I was just about to publish this post when I found out that out of about 850 people who started, 400 DNFed. Wow. That makes me feel a LOT better about how poorly we did.

Update #2: I have to correct the information above. There were 850 total runners in both the half marathon and the 5k. Of that, 290 were 5k runners and 443 were half-marathon finishers. That means there were 117 DNFers, not 400. Still, that is 26% of the entrants who did did not complete the race. Even if 30 of those did not even start the race, that leaves 20% who DNFed. So I still feel good about crossing that finish line, even if it took me way too long.

7 thoughts on “Boomtown Days Half Marathon Race Report

1. Mandy Tillette

15 Jun on 2010 at 10:04

Yes, it was my first! I am thinking of doing the Bass Pro Half in November. A lot of my friends have ran that one and they say it is pretty flat, minus the bridge over Kansas Expressway. Do you train with a group here?

15 Jun on 2010 at 10:53

@Mandy: It’s supposed to be a good race. Yeah, pretty flat. There’s that bridge and there are some smallish hills as the course goes through the neighborhood east of Glenstone and Sunset. We (my running partner and I) trained for it in 2007 with the Ridge Runners group and I definitely recommend it. It cost $25 and that included a technical tee on top of water and carb shots on Sat/Sun training runs for like 16 weeks. I’d pay $50 for all that we got, actually. I ended up moving to Germany before the race, but Sarah ran it and had a great experience. I am considering running the Bass Pro half this year, but Sarah and I have also talked about volunteering. Either way, I need someone to run with this weekend! You up for a nice, easy 3- or 4- mile recovery run? Where do you usually train? We usually do Sequiota Park or the South Creek Trail.

15 Jun on 2010 at 10:58

AND CONGRATS ON YOUR FIRST HALF MARATHON! What a way to start! :)

2. Mandy Tillette

15 Jun on 2010 at 8:32

Hi! I found your blog when I Googled “Boomtown Half Review”. Congrats! I am also from Springfield and also ran the half in Joplin this weekend. The heat and hills were killer! I was wondering where you heard that 400 runners dropped out? It may be wrong, but it makes me feel a lot better!
    Thanks- Mandy Tillette

15 Jun on 2010 at 9:52

@Mandy: Thanks! Well, since I posted this I’ve got new information. I’ll update the post. Yeah. It was seriously HOT. Congrats to you too! Was this your first half?

3. Daniel Hargett

14 Jun on 2010 at 0:24

Yeah screw half-marathons, just run with the big dogs! ;) Nice to hear you stuck it out when 400 other people didn’t!!!! You are awesome, no matter what you may think!

One thing to add, the webcam they setup had really shite quality. No way to tell which runner’s were which. I saw 2 people cross the line 15 minutes before you finished and I swore it was you guys. Furthermore, the camera had freaking moved to the top of a nearby building by the time you did finish, WTF?

• admin

15 Jun on 2010 at 9:55

@Daniel: I feel like I need to conquer the half now! I mean, I ran a full, why can’t I have a successful half?! Seriously! You’ll be happy to know that one I’m considering is the Tulsa one…

Yeah, I wasn’t too sure how good the webcam would be. It’s hard enough to spot your runner when you’re on the sidelines (although, to be fair, we were all by ourselves because we were so slow, so it was easy to spot us), so in a little image sent over teh internets, I suspected it wouldn’t be so great. Still, I’m glad to see that a small race like that had a webcam. Maybe as it becomes more normal to do so, the technology will provide better quality at a more affordable rate.