This post is for Nathan. :)
Google+ Twitter Integration is something I have sought after for almost as long as I’ve been using Google+ (I’d even be happy with the reverse!), but I never found a method that worked. Until IFTTT. There is a Recipe (user-created triggers and actions), but it didn’t work. I was determined! So I Googled a bit and found exactly what I needed from Google+ user Henrik Ekenberg. I’m posting the Google+ Twitter integration process here so hopefully it is easier to find in the future.
This morning, my online world changed. Nope, not exaggerating. I discovered IfThisThenThat (IFTTT). In brief, it takes events (If This) and triggers actions (Then That). For example, you can have it email you if the forecast for tomorrow includes rain or have it save any Facebook photo you are tagged in to a Dropbox folder. Automation magic. I love it.
- Make sure that you have a Feedburner account set up.
- Copy your Google+ ID–click on your profile, then look in the URL box and copy the long number after “plus.google.com/”
Ok, let’s do this!
Google+ Twitter Integration Using IfThisThenThat and Feedburner
You can follow the steps below, or just use my IFTTT Recipe here. You’ll still need to do a little setup, like creating your Google+ Nodester URL and then your Feedburner Feed, but I’ve done all the legwork for you with the Recipe.
- Paste your Google+ ID to the Google+ Nodester service URL: http://googleplusrss.nodester.com/ Example: http://googleplusrss.nodester.com/105740003646614855373
- Copy the entire URL created in step 1, then paste it into the “Burn a feed right this instant” box in Feedburner. Optional: Change the Feed Address to something short, sweet, and memorable. I made mine “linden-google-plus”. Click “Next.”
- Head over to IFTTT and create a Task.
- For This: Click the orange Feed icon
- Choose New Feed Item if you want every Public Google+ post to go to Twitter. You cannot send Google+ posts that are limited to certain circles to Twitter, only Public ones. Choose New Feed Item Matches if you would like only certain Public Google+ posts to go to Twitter. You might include a hashtag (maybe #twt) so that only those Public Google+ posts containing “#twt” are sent to Twitter.
- Paste your Feedburner RSS feed URL into the text box and Create Trigger.
- For That: Click Twitter as your Action Channel.
- Click Post a New Tweet.
- Click Create Action, give your task a name, then Create Task.
Voila! Automatic Google+ Twitter integration! All of your Public Google+ posts will now be sent to Twitter. The only drawback of this (and it’s minor for me) is that IFTTT only scans Triggers every 15 minutes, so there is a delay between your Google+ post and the resulting tweet.
What cool things are you automating with IfThisThenThat? Share your best ideas in the comments!